Nobody wants to be in a position where you need a criminal lawyer to defend you or a loved one in court, but what should you do if it happens? Are you going for the first lawyer you find? It is not likely to be a wise move on your part.
Lawyers are like doctors. They also have their own fields of expertise. That is the part of the law that they have focused on and that they have spent much of their time on.
What you need to find are attorneys who have focused on criminal law more than anything else. So how do you go about finding the right one? Here are some ideas:
1. Specialization is the name of the game. It means that for criminal attorneys, there are also some specializations within them that attorneys can delve into. Therefore, what you need is to find someone who has considerable experience and knowledge in the particular field of criminal law that concerns you.
2. You should think twice before settling for a public defender, because on average they have more cases than lawyers recommend as advisable for handling. If you have money to spend, you should try to get your own lawyer. It could be your freedom that would be at stake.
3. Decide what kind of qualities you would like to find in your lawyer. Do you want someone with extensive experience, but too busy to get too involved in your case? Do you prefer someone who has less experience, but is a hard worker?
4. Look for personal references from people you know. They may know a good criminal lawyer who can help you. Personal references are still the best way to find a service you need.
5. Find out if they belong to any group of criminal lawyers. Membership in regional and national criminal lawyer groups is a good indication that someone is genuinely interested in criminal law.
6. If you want to determine the position of a lawyer in the estimation of his colleagues, you should try to find out if he has ever held a position in any of the groups of lawyers to which he belongs. Holding a position is a good indication that they are competent in their field.
7. Don’t be fooled by the ads and the claims they have there. They put anything there for you to come in. It is best if you meet or speak with an attorney in person so that you can decide if you really have what it takes.
8. Find out if the attorney has taught at a reputable law school. Teaching law is one of the marks that a lawyer really is something.
9. Find out about their rates. A lawyer can be good and all, but you may not be able to afford them.
These are just some of the most important things to look for in a criminal defense attorney.