The goal of this article is to let you know how I came to discover a weight loss method that allows my patients to lose about 1 pound a day safely and without supplements, special expensive foods, or point counts. I want to share what has allowed 50 of my patients to lose over 2000 pounds combined during a 5 month recruitment period.
Alwin Lewis, MD, MPH, and I were classmates at the Tulane University School of Medicine and the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. We were good friends then and thanks to the magic of Facebook we are still good friends now. It was through Facebook that we reconnected and he told me about his new weight loss secrets.
Back in medical school, Dr. Lewis was in a terrible car accident in New Orleans. He spent a long time in the hospital for his injuries. My classmates and I were quite worried about him and his future after the injuries sustained were quite significant. Instead of worrying about completing his degrees in Medicine and Public Health, he was fighting to get his life and normalcy back.
Due to surgeries and time in the hospital he was unable to eat properly for a while. However, when his intestine started working again, no matter how hard she tried, he just couldn’t eat as much. He really wasn’t that hungry after a while of not eating. It was then that he discovered his “Hungerstat”, the thermostat in the body that controls hunger. He discovered, albeit forcibly through his injuries in a car accident, that the body’s thermostat for hunger IS ADJUSTABLE. Not having regular meals, his stomach had shrunk naturally, and there was absolutely no quick way to make him hungry for quite some time beyond eating a few handfuls of food. He, too, hadn’t had any adjustments to his stomach from the accident, as would happen if he were injured or had a gastric bypass.
From this discovery, and from his observations of patients who underwent gastric bypass and other weight-loss surgeries, he discovered the secret to rapid, sustained weight loss and lifestyle modification, and used his own and that of their own patients. Within his Internal Medicine Practice, he used his diet for obese patients and discovered through his methods, and with training, that a patient could have a weight loss equivalent to that of a gastric bypass without surgery, without supplements or drugs.
By using the body’s natural method of fat mobilization, a person could see themselves losing weight, staying healthy, spending little or no cash, and having PERMANENT effects on their hungerstat. In other words, after this diet, your stomach NATURALLY shrinks and you no longer have a large appetite, and you eat small handfuls of food, and stop when you have eaten smaller portions because your stomach has naturally shrunk.
After we caught up on Facebook after many years, I had the opportunity to go to his house and stay with him, his wife and 2 children when he had a convention to attend in Hollywood. He now lives in Burbank, California, so I took advantage of the free spot to stay in his spare room.
While he was there, he had copies of his book that explained this diet at home. He gave me one, autographed it, and I read it in one night. He absorbed the information from me. The simplicity and beauty of the diet were fascinating and hypnotic. I said to myself: “Is it really that simple?” And I convinced myself that it was. I went to the same classes and training as this guy and he was also using the science and knowledge that I learned and it made perfect sense to me.
His basic premise: Why not use the diet that people who have had gastric bypass are given to people who haven’t, and see what it does with the starvation state? In doing so, he discovered several amazing things.
1. You don’t need a surgical gastric bypass to eat like you’ve had it. Within a few days, your body will get used to eating smaller amounts of food and set this as your new hunger stat.
2. Your stomach naturally shrinks when you fast or eat smaller portions. After a few days, you will feel full from only eating 6 or 7 bites of food if you eat 5 bites for a short period per meal.
3. 1 pound daily weight loss is safe and reliable under the guidance of a physician.
4. You don’t have to be morbidly obese to lose weight using the same diet they use for gastric bypasses and other surgical weight-loss solutions.
5. Training a patient through a diet can be just as successful and satisfying as a gastric bypass that forces you to eat less.
6. A patient’s self-esteem is much better preserved when he loses his weight naturally and through his own willpower than when forced through surgery.
7. Whether you want to lose 5 to 200 pounds or more, eating like you have a gastric bypass will work safely and effectively without surgery to eliminate surgical risk.
8. Many of the weight loss myths regarding metabolism and food are debunked based on our experiences with patients following this diet.
The rules of your diet are as follows… this is the instruction sheet I give my patients when they follow it. Nothing more and nothing less…
1. Skip breakfast
2.5 bites of food, whatever you want, for lunch, five bites of food for dinner.
3. 1 bite of food should be protein.
4. Take a Multivitamin with Iron Every Day
5. Drink what you want as long as there are no sugars/calories in the drink.
That is. Those are the rules of the diet. This simple list of rules has allowed hundreds of patients to lose weight and NOT GAIN it through their hunger reset statistics. It makes it virtually impossible to regain weight quickly or at all when your body gets used to smaller meals, while keeping your stomach down without surgery.
Over the years, as physicians caring for thousands of obese patients, both he and I have discovered that meal replacement diets don’t work. Calorie counting diets don’t work. A proper diet with controlled portions is the most effective strategy to achieve lasting weight loss. Dr. Lewis has perfected this method, using a non-surgical gastric bypass approach to help you lose weight. It allowed me to use this for my patients on the east coast and my patients have been raving about it.
I add Hypnotherapy or Neuro-Linguistic Programming or Emotional Freedom Technique to help remove any subconscious triggers or relationships to disordered eating or eating when you’re not hungry.
To learn more about this new diet, visit my blog at www.rapidweightlosshipnosis.com.