Planning to build your custom home that matches your personal taste in architecture? First, you need to find a contractor you can trust. Selecting between different residential contractors can be tricky at times, because all the other companies claim to be the best in the business. Here are the 9 pro tips you need.
1. Ask around. When looking for custom home builders, referrals always count. Talk to your friends, colleagues, and neighbors to learn about the services they’ve tried so far. Ask them about the experience and why they liked or disliked a service.
2. Check if the company is genuine. Don’t be surprised to find that many of the contractors have no experience working with clients. They often offer the best discounts and sell the contracts to smaller subcontractors for easy money.
3. Make sure the business is licensed, insured and bonded. You should check if the contractor has the necessary permits to work in your city and area, and should also be insured. These are basics that people often ignore when comparing options.
4. Are they open to your ideas? A good and reliable general contractor will take the time to understand the needs, expectations and requirements of their clients. They will also discuss any ideas you may have in mind and, depending on practicalities, may suggest the right things.
5. Will you offer a quote? As a client, you should be very careful about your choice of contractor, especially regarding the estimate you provide. Check if their prices are genuine and in sync with standards. Getting an estimate is also important because you can compare options.
6. Specialization counts. Always work with a contractor who has worked on and managed projects similar to yours. Not all commercial contractors handle residential projects, so ask them about their areas of expertise.
7. Review your previous projects. You can never trust a service that doesn’t have enough customers. Check out the work they’ve done so far, so you know what kind of experience they have with residential projects.
8. Ask for references. It is not enough to see some photos of your previous projects. You need to know the experience of your clients regarding your services, and for that nothing is more important than references. A company that has been doing business for more than five years will have enough customers.
9. Ask why you should hire them. As a customer, you need to know why a company thinks it is better than others. Get to know their highlights and ask them questions about their work. They should be able to convince you about their highlights and the kinds of things they do.
Finally, take the time to schedule a personal meeting. You may need two or three meetings before you can sign off on the project.